Thursday, October 27, 2005
The House and Senate have both passed Nicole's Law, S2152, which requires carbon monoxide detectors in homes. Devices will be required in any residence that "(1) contains equipment fossil-fuel burning equipment including, but not limited to, a furnace, boiler, water heater, fireplace or any other apparatus, appliance or device; or (2) incorporates enclosed parking within its structure." The law is named for 7-year-old Nicole Garofalo who died in January 2005 when a heating vent in her house was blocked by snow drifts, allowing carbon monoxide to accumulate in the home. The Governor is expected to sign the measure in the next few weeks. More information is available from The Republican, the Boston Globe, and State Senator Therese Murray.
Posted by Meg at 8:26 AM