Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pothole season

Has your car been damaged by a pothole? You might be able to recover the cost of repairing your car depending on whether the damage occurred on a city or town road as opposed to a state road. According to the Massachusetts Department of Transportation's FAQ website, the state does not reimburse for property damage caused by defects on state roads. A numbered route does not necessarily mean the portion of the road where you incurred damage is actually a state road. See 720 CMR 7.14 for a list of state highways. If the damage occurred on a local road you might be able to make a claim with the city or town according to MGL c.84, s.15. For more information about potholes link to our Massachusetts Law About Potholes and Road Defects page.