Saturday, June 07, 2014

Moving? Things you should know

School will be out soon and many people will move to new locations this summer.  If you are hiring a mover, please read on.

In-state moves

If you are moving household goods from one point in Massachusetts to another, the agency that oversees your mover is the Transportation Division of the Mass. Dept. of Public Utilities (DPU).  Your mover must be licensed by the DPU and must file its rates with the agency annually.

You can check for licenses on the agency's web site.  You can also request a copy of the mover's rates on file with the agency at 617-305-3559.

Moving across state lines

Under federal law, interstate movers are required to give you a booklet entitled "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move," and "Ready to Move? Tips for a Successful Interstate Move."  These booklets and many other helpful resources about moving are available at

If you are moving into or out of Massachusetts, the agency that oversees your mover is the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA).  You can check on a mover's registration here or by calling FMCSA at 202-366-9805 or  888-368-7238.

Carefully read the Bill of Lading:  Movers are required to prepare a "Bill of Lading" for every move that details the goods carried and serves as your contract.  Both parties must sign it, and the mover must give you a copy before loading your goods into the van or truck.  Made sure the bill of lading contains the mover's name, address, license number and telephone number, as well as your contact information.  It should also include the loading and delivery dates, the declared or released value of the goods, and any storage instructions.  Be sure to read and keep the Bill of Lading until your move is complete.

For additional information on choosing a mover, getting estimates and moving insurance, view this page.